Saturday, 26 December 2015

NOSFERATU 1922



Now we're going right back to the start of Horror cinema... Nosferatu!

I have to say this took me a couple of attempts to get into the right headspace to sit and watch this film but when I finally got my head right to sit down and appreciate it it was well worth it.

Some interesting background on this film was that while it was based on Bram Stokers "Dracula" it never gained legal rights to do so and instead of using the words vampire they are called "Nosferatu" and instead of using the name Dracula they called the main villain "Count Orlok". They were still sued and as a result of copyright infringement all copies of the film were ordered to be destroyed. Thankfully at least a few must have survived for the movie to have remained in circulation until the digital age we now find ourselves in.

Nosferatu follows the story of a real estate agent who is trading land with the wealthy Count Orlok. He is warned not to go to the counts castle and does so anyway... and of course falls under the vampires (I mean NOSFERATU) spell.

The movie itself is primitive and has no dialogue. The accompanying music is a recreation as the original score (which also has been lost in time)... but there in lies the charm of this film. The music that accompanies this film is quite hypnotic and other worldly in its own way and adds to the atmosphere of the film. but like I said it did take me a while to get into the headspace required to appreciate this work, but I have a sneaky feeling this is the film that spark a new interest in vintage horror for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment